Bed bugs are invading the whole country, they have even been found in the Empire State Building for God sake! Hopefully any problem you find yourself having with these tiny vampires will be on a much smaller scale but it can still be very disconcerting non the less. The big question is how do you get rid of bed bugs?
First there are the itchy red welts on your body, some people don’t have any reaction to the bed bug bites but for most the intense itching just makes a horrid situation seem a whole lot worse. Secondly, you have to face the fact that your home has an infestation and work out how to get rid of the bed bugs as quickly and effectively as possible.
There are a few simple steps you can follow which will hopefully get rid of your bed bugs. However, if you have a large infestation in more than one room you may need to bring in professional help.
Five Step To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs
1. De-clutter and clear the room. Get rid of anything you no longer need such as newspapers, magazines, books etc. Place all this “stuff” into plastic bags, seal them tightly and dispose of them.
2. Remove all bedding, clothing etc. and place this in sealed plastic bags also. Launder everything at as high a temperature as possible. Items which cannot be laundered may be placed in your tumble dryer on a high setting for about 10 minutes. Alternatively you could use a steam cleaner to kill any bugs in garments unsuitable for laundering or tumble drying. Once items have been treated place them in fresh plastic bags and seal them up again to avoid re-contamination. REMEMBER – you will have to check closets, drawers etc. because bed bugs will hide out anywhere.
3. Once the room is completely clear, vacuum everywhere in a methodical, thorough manner, this must include the bed, soft furnishings, curtains, inside furniture, even weird places like smoke alarms, light switches and alarm clocks must be checked. It is vital that you empty you vacuum cleaner into plastic bags and seal them tightly immediately you complete this task.
4. Repeat step three using a steam cleaner. Bed bugs cannot withstand heat and a steam cleaner delivers an immediate, intense source. This should get rid of bed bugs at all stages of their development from eggs and nymphs through to full sized adult bugs.
5. If you have any small cracks or crevices in walls or floors now is a good time to carry out repairs. This will get rid of bed bug hiding places!
You could take the process no further and hope that you have got rid of all the bed bugs. However, when anyone asks me how to get rid of bed bugs I always advise taking things a step further.
You can purchase a wide variety of bed bug sprays and treatments I personally have used and had success with Bed Bug Patrol Products. They work quickly to get rid of any bed bugs who may have escaped the vacuum and steam cleaners. Crawling insect dust and bed bug traps can also work well. These are relatively inexpensive and will also effectively get rid of bed bugs. In fact you can buy everything you need in a bed bug busting kit.
These steps show you how to get rid of bed bugs, but going through this routine once may not be enough. You may have to repeat the whole thing a few times before you can declare you home a bed bug free zone!